REGISTER SOON - LIMITED ATTENDANCE
This is a HANDS-ON course.
This course is primarily designed for Level II Dental Assistants who want to perform the additional intra-oral procedures associated with orthodontic treatment. This course meets the criteria outlined by the RCDSO to be considered a Supplemental Course in Orthodontic Procedures (see Appendix 1, Performance of Intra-Oral Procedures that are Not Controlled Acts). This course may also be taken by Dental Hygienists who wish to become more familiar with orthodontic procedures.
This course will be comprised of lectures and hands-on sessions. Our instructors for this course include experts from our Faculty of Dentistry, excellent community orthodontists, and an experienced dental hygienist in orthodontics. While participants will get the opportunity to practice all the intra-oral procedures as required by the RCDSO, please note that some lecture content may be for informational purpose only.
Participants will be sent a course manual/study material two weeks prior to the course and are required to read and study the material before attending the course. As part of the course, participants will be evaluated on the lecture and hands-on components of the course. Participants who complete this course and satisfy the evaluation portion of this course will receive a certificate of completion.
- An introduction to orthodontics
- Classification of orthodontic case types and common treatment options
- Names and uses of orthodontic appliances
- Bracket placement: how, why and where
- Bonding procedures for brackets and attachments (etching and priming), anterior and posterior bite turbos
- Placing attachments in conjunction with clear aligner therapy
- Bonding and cementing bands and passive appliances
- Bracket and attachment removal
- Taking alginate, digital, and non-alginate conventional impressions (i.e., non-digital)
- Practice management, including customer service, the patient experience, and practice development
IMPORTANT: Level II Dental Assistants should have a minimum of one-year clinical experience before taking this course.
Upon completion of this course, Level II Dental Assistants will be able to perform the following four intra-oral procedures:
- placing and cementing bands, brackets and passive space-maintaining or orthodontic appliances that have been previously selected, fitted and/or dispersed by a dentist for orthodontic purposes ;
- placing attachments for orthodontic purposes in conjunction with clear aligner therapy;
- removing bands, brackets and passive space-maintaining or orthodontic appliances, but not removing cement and/or bonding resin ; and
- taking non-alginate conventional impressions (i.e., non-digital) for working models for the fabrication of space-maintaining or orthodontic appliances.
 This intra-oral procedure does not include separating teeth for orthodontic purposes or placing and removing arch wires and active orthodontic appliances, which are controlled acts.
 When removing bands and brackets, this intra-oral procedure includes removing passive arch wires at the same appointment. Following the removal of bands, brackets and passive space-maintaining or orthodontic appliances, the subsequent removal of cement and/or bonding resin necessitates instrumentation that, if performed inappropriately, may result in the removal of tooth tissue. When giving direction regarding this intra-oral procedure, dentists may NOT permit Level II Dental Assistants to remove cement and/or bonding resin.
Reference: Performance of Intra-Oral Procedures that are Not Controlled Acts (RCDSO)
Friday, Oct. 27, 2023
Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023
Sunday, Oct 29, 2023
- Course will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Participants may begin to arrive at 8:30 a.m. to sign-in.
Registration for this course can be done online by clicking on the button at the top of this page.
Dental Assistants must provide a copy of their NDEB certification. This is in accordance with the RCDSO guidelines:
A Level II Dental Assistant is a person who holds the certificate of the National Dental Assisting Examining Board issued on or before December 31, 2002, or who holds a certificate of the National Dental Assisting Examining Board issued after December 31, 2002 provided that the certificate was issued based upon successful completion of its examination(s).
Dental Assistant/Hygienist - total course fee:
- $1,895 (if registered by Oct. 13, 2023)
- $1,995 (if registered after Oct. 13, 2023)
This course fee covers the cost of materials used in hands-on sessions. This includes a teaching model (typodont) that participants can keep for patient education and continued training after the course.
Lunch is provided for course participants.
A 100% refund will be granted for registrations cancelled at least two weeks prior to course start date. A 50% refund will be granted for registrations cancelled at least one week prior to course start date. Refunds will not be granted after one week prior to course start date.
Cancellations can be done by following the link and instructions provided in the registration confirmation email.
Registrations are not transferable.
The University of Toronto reserves the right to cancel events. Registrants will be notified at the earliest possible date in the event of a cancellation. Registration fees for events cancelled by the University will be refunded in full; however, the University will not be liable for any loss, damages or other expenses that such cancellations may cause.
This course is considered a Category 2 course by the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario. Full participation of this course will grant up to 24 CE points. (For more information, please see the RCDSO’s website.)