This course will involve didactic and hands-on training together with the opportunity to treat at least two surgical sites under the supervision of Faculty experts including case selection, diagnosis, treatment planning, surgical phase and prosthodontics phase to final completion. Student dentists may select patients requiring single or multiple implants but all patients to be treated must be approved by the Faculty as suitable for the educational requirements of the student.
This is not a course based on a single implant system. Participants in this program will have the opportunity in the first phase of the residency to become familiar with a variety of implant systems and then choose the system that they wish to use in the patient treatment phase. Different systems may be selected for each patient to broaden the educational experience or the student can choose to use the same system for both patients.
Note: This course will meet the new RCDSO Guidelines for Educational Requirements for Implant Dentistry.
LICENSED OUTSIDE OF ONTARIO?
If you are a dentist licensed outside of Ontario please contact the Registration Department at the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) to inquire how you can obtain a “Short Duration Certificate” (i.e. a temporary education license) in order to work with patients in this course.
Patients: All patients must be provided by the registrant and be approved by the Course Director.
Material Costs: Cost of materials and lab fees for cases treated will be the responsibility of the registrant. However the registrant is permitted to charge this cost to the patient. Costs will be based on the University’s Institutional Preferred Pricing.
Total: $18,000 plus material expenses (material expenses to be confirmed by April 1)
A non-refundable deposit of $1000 is required at time of registration.
The remaining $17,000 can be paid by installments as follows:
- $6,000 by August 26, 2016
- $6,000 September 16, 2016
- $5,000 December 1, 2016
NO refunds after December 1st.
Fri., 13 January: 481University – 4th floor - Sat., 14 January: CDE Centre:
- Course objectives
- Screening/selection criteria for the course
- General overview of implant systems and biological concept of osseointegration
- Patient history and record collection in preparation for implant therapy
- Implant success and risk factors
- Ridge preservation
- Use of radiographic/surgical guides and CBCT scan
- Review of ODA fee guide code for implant therapy
Fri., 3 February: 481University – 4th floor - Sat., 4 February: 481University – 4th floor:
- Informed consent and presentation from RCDSO and PLP
- Case selection
- Patient management
- Pharmacological consideration
- Surgical principles and techniques
- Prosthodontic consultation and treatment planning
Fri., 3 March: 481University – 4th floor - Sat., 4 March: 481University – 4th floor:
- Review of oral facial anatomy
- Atraumatic extraction techniques
- Surgical treatment planning
- Biologic width and platform switching
Fri., 31 March: 481 University – 4th floor, Sat., 1 April: 481 University – 4th floor, Sun., 2 April: 481 University – 4th floor (Corporate Wknd):
- Biomaterial and biomechanical considerations
- Implant placement and loading (delayed vs immediate)
- Implant Aesthetics
- Implant surgical technique with preclinical hands-on
- Implant corporate sessions (1 Apr. and 2 Apr.)
Fri., 28 April: CDE Centre 1440 Don Mills Rd. - Sat., 29 April: CDE Centre 1440 Don Mills Rd.
- Prosthodontic consultation and treatment planning, suturing and implant site development with preclinical hands-on using both Cadaver & Pig Mandible specimens
Sat., 6 May:
- Deadline for finalizing case selection and approval
Sat., Sun., 27, 28 May: 124 Edward St.:
- Clinical sessions – surgical placement of implants
June, July, August:
Fri., Sat., 15 & 16 September: CDE Centre, 1440 Don Mills Rd.:
- Prosthodontic and laboratory considerations with preclinical hands-on
Fri., Sat., 20 & 21 October: 124 Edward St.:
- Prosthodontic and laboratory considerations
- Clinical Sessions – final impressions of implants
Fri., Sat., 24 & 25 November: 124 Edward St.:
- Implant Maintenance, complications and failure
- Clinical Sessions – completions of implant restoration
Fri., 8 December: Double Tree Hotel - 108 Chestnut St.:
- Integration of dental implant therapy into private practice
- Review of cases
- Completion of CDE course
- Graduation Luncheon