This course provides a comprehensive review of basic periodontal surgical techniques that can immediately be put into practice. In the didactic portion, proper diagnosis, treatment planning, and patient preparation prior to surgery will be discussed. Instrumentation and surgical techniques will be reviewed for procedures including gingivectomy, periodontal flap surgery, mucogingival surgery, regenerative surgery, and crown lengthening. The hands-on portion will provide attendees with the opportunity to practice periodontal surgical techniques and will also enhance general oral surgical skills such as flap design and suturing.
- Review periodontal diagnoses and treatment planning
- Review the indications for periodontal surgery
- Understand the basic principles of periodontal surgery, flap design, and suturing
- Be aware of limitations and expected outcomes from surgical interventions
- Review basic principles of managing post-surgical complications
- Obtain hands-on experience in flap design and suturing for the most common periodontal surgeries